Saturday, August 15, 2009

Hot Summer Creativity

I have screens drying in the sun with print paste dye on them. As soon as they are ready I plan to deconstruct screen print them onto silk scarves. While I'm waiting for the dyeing festivities I finished this piece of paper fabric. I'm loving the textures I got with this one.

I have been messing around with making pickles and, after 3 attempts, have developed a recipe we love. If you are a fan of crisp, garlicky, kind of sour pickles here's my recipe. (I share well, I don't get that it's a secret thing some people have with recipes.)
- Find a crock or jar that suits you and add pickling spice (I add about 1/4 cup to this crock that is about 3/4 of a gallon).
- Fill the crock with quartered spears from Kirby or other pickling cukes.
- Slice in half 4-6 garlic cloves and then place them in between the spears.
- In a separate bowl combine 4 cups bottled water, 1 cup white vinegar & 1/4 cup salt. Stir until the salt is completely dissolved.
- Pour over the spears.
- Add as much fresh dill as you think is good.
- Close tightly and shake.
- Cover and put in a cool, dry place to do its thing for 48-72 hours (I like to leave it 1-1/2 days).
- Put in the refridgerator and eat within 2 weeks (they'll really only last about 2 days because you won't be able to stop eating them).

No comments: