Sunday, May 10, 2009

Farming

Barns, cows, vegetables, old tractors, farm implements....you name it...they call to me. We (well...really hubby) are going to plant a garden this year. We (well...really me) will spend time prepping the harvest for canning and freezing to enjoy throughout the winter. My sister-in-law grows the most scrumptious blueberries and right now I have the last frozen batch simmering on top of the stove. When finished they will make a wonderful syrup that we add to Greek yogurt (have you ever tried this stuff? The Best) and put over pancakes. There's something very connecting about growing, storing and eating your own food. Work for sure...but the best kind. Much better than vacuuming or that dusting stuff.

The pastel painting above is done from a photo of a local barn on the other side of the Shawangunk Ridge at the foot of the Catskills.


2 comments:

MaryAnn said...

Gardening is part of my creative process. That connection is nurtures my soul in a way that is similar to the way "making" stuff does.

LynnAnne said...

Time is the garden is one of the things I dream about all winter. My garden is my refuge . Brings me back to center when things become too stressful. Does anything taste as good as something you've grown yourself?