Saturday, June 20, 2009

Communities

Chapter 1
Awhile back when I was still selling on Ebay I was contacted by Michelle who wanted to know if I was interested in displaying and selling my work at her Handmade Gallery. This shop was connected to the Wallkill River School in a local town. Michelle is a young woman whose blog title makes me laugh, knowing her as I do. She is a talented, sensitive soul with a heart of gold and the energy of a child. Anyway, after becoming involved with the Handmade Gallery I met Janet. Janet is a mixed media and jewelry artist. I remember this gorgeous beaded necklace she created that took her months to finish and was so filled with sparkle and wonder that just about everyone who came in the shop ooh'd and ah'd over it.

Chapter 2
Ebay decided to change up a lot of their fees and policies, making it a hostile selling world for small-time, individual artists. Because of this an Ebay seller decided to setup her own artist internet auction site (unfortunately this site was not successful). I became somewhat involved with this auction site and 'met' a lady by the name of Billie there. Billie is a wonderful person who does incredible assemblages, collages and other mixed media work. Billie and I realized we were both from the Hudson Valley, in fact we were - basically - neighbors.

Chapter 3
I encouraged Billie to contact Michelle at the Handmade Gallery since I felt it was necessary that the shop have Billie's work. Now, due to my busy life and lack of time for socializing Billie and I were never actually able to meet but Billie did go to Michelle's shop and while there met Janet (remember Janet from Chapter 1?). Serendipity was at work here....Janet and Billie became fast friends and more than a year later they are creative buddies who have become very close. I like to say I 'match-made' the friendship of these two ladies.

Chapter 4
Fast forward to Dec 2008. The Handmade Gallery has closed its doors but, as a result of the shop's association with the Wallkill River School, I have become involved with the WRS and have started to mess around with pastel painting. Just before the holidays last year the WRS hosted an art & craft fair. As I was unloading my car to setup I saw Janet arrive with another woman. Often my psychic radar works well, and I knew immediately that it was Billie. We had a grand time finally meeting each other, gabbing up a storm and marveling at how connections can lead us down interesting paths.

Chapter 5
Michelle and I still stay connected and see each other as we're able. Janet, Billie and I plan to keep in better touch and hope to spend some creative time together. I have a strong bond with the WRS and - at times - help plan some small events. Aren't communities marvelous?

The cloth above was created by dyeing, discharging, soy waxing, over painting and print painting. Perhaps later today I'll get a chance to drop in some stitiching.




3 comments:

Canace said...

That's quite a story Denise... (she made it all up)

lol... nooooo.. it's all true. Janet and I are inseparable these days and Denise has promised to find time for us too... busy gal.

We will just have to bribe you with another omelet!

Thanks for the post... it's very nice.

xoxo
Billie

MHFiler said...

I think we are the fortunate ones to know you!!!! You are truly a blessing and inspiration! See you soon.

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

Wonderful story of making connections. Love the red work in progress- very vibrant.