Friday, July 25, 2008

Try it you might like it!

My first ever (unfinished) work with pastels. I didn't know you layer pastels on top of one another so the underneath layers peek through and that you can rub them and get wonderful pastel dust all over your work space and clothes! I didn't know I could work with them much the same way I do with paint on fabric - building colors until there is an intensity that draws you to keep looking and looking. I didn't know I would enjoy them as much as I do. I am fortunate enough to have Shawn Dell Joyce as an instructor for a beginning pastel course. She is an amazingly accomplished artist and artistic business woman. Her hands series is incredible. http://www.shawndelljoyce.com/wst_page5.php
I want to stay home today and try to capture that gorgeous purple blue of cobalt bottles with pastels. Thank you, Shawn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful, Denise! Is this a continuation of the drawing class? Or is it an entirely new class? It's beautiful.

my croft said...

Layering seems to be the key to everything. The drawing is beautiful (and very confident) as well.