Monday, February 23, 2009

Departure

Yesterday I wanted to try something different from the same 'ole, same 'ole so I took a piece of cotton painted it with dye print paste, cooked it by the woodstove, rinsed it out, didn't like how washed out the colors looked and then proceeded to overpaint the design. I like the simplicity of this and the colors. I am handstitiching it (it's about 8x10" so this is do-able). If you click on the photo is will get LARGE and you can see some of the stitching details. I hope to do more of these in the future. Feels a bit folk arty, doesn't it?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Denise--love this little piece. The hand stitching makes it. This is the kind of thing I want to do. What type of thread do you use? Looks heavier than embroidery floss.
Thanks
Franchi

MHFiler said...

Love it!!! Really love the colors and movement.

Denise Aumick said...

Look at you guys, Michelle! xoxoxoxxo

Denise Aumick said...

Franchi, I can't find your email address or the link to you blog.

The thread I'm using is actually just thick hand quilting cotton thread (one of my favorites).

Dixie Redmond said...

Definitely feels folk-arty. I love the simplicity of the design - it reminds me of "snowball quilts" a bit.

Tangled Stitch said...

The colors are extraordinary and the stitching completes it. Very nice.