Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Rising


I have been indirectly yet oddly effected by two deaths this week. 

We have many moments and elements that makeup our lives and help to define who we are as people. Levon Helm's music has been a part of my life since the early 70’s. When I asked Steve why I was so strongly effected by his passing, Steve (in his way of sometimes getting right to the heart of the matter) said “because he is of our generation and our time is ending”. The man speaketh the truth. Rest in peace Levon, you helped me carry The Weight many times and, I suspect, will continue to do so.

Three weeks ago we had our annual fundraiser at the Wallkill River School of Art. One of my abstract mixed media paintings was bought by a woman in the end stages of cancer. She passed away shortly after the fundraiser. This week I was told that she stared at my painting during the end days. Perhaps it provided Alice with a modicum of comfort? Ahhhhh, what better compliment could I ever receive as an artist?







No comments: