Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Strung Up Heart

We are often on the fence when it comes to who we will give our loving-ness to and how much. Today I was thinking about how difficult - at times - it can be to be loving. Busy lives filled with pressures and stress - worries, concerns and to-do lists can keep us from caring about others. But what do our achievements and how many tasks we've completed in a day amount to in the long run? Are these the thoughts and memories that will sustain and bring a smile to our face when we are old and no longer able to franticly run around? One of the gifts and swords of age is the wisdom of understanding - very clearly - our mortality. Our lives can change in the blink of an eye and the chance to spread our loving-ness to another may be lost. I'm going to try for a bit more softness towards both myself and others. To be a loving person doesn't mean that I have to love everyone, it means that I can try to find the kindness in my heart to be gracious in both my thoughts and deeds.

Acrylic paint, altered with alcohol on cloth; painted cheesecloth; hand embroidery - 4x6" art quiltlet postcard


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a loving sentiment! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your art.

Jan said...

Nice sentiments for your post today. As I look through the Planet Textile threads pages, suddenly I come to your work pictured and before I even have looked to see who's work it is I think, "Yes, that is a nice piece of art!"

May Terry said...

Beautiful piece, as usual, Denise.

With all the hate in the world, it's hard to maintain our own compassion, which I think is even more important than love, or maybe is love...but it is indeed the most important thing we can do.

I think your beautiful work comes from your beautiful heart.

May

Unknown said...

Denise, what a great message. I find myself being "snappy" with loved ones because of the stresses you mention, and I, too, am trying to soften up, especially with my MIL with whom we live (in our own place, but same house). Would you consider selling this postcard/quiltlet in your Etsy shop? I'd love to purchase it from you. Please let me know. Aloha! Dianna

Dixie Redmond said...

This is very interesting to me. I am really trying to understand this right now - that not everything that can be done should be done and will matter in the end.