Thursday, December 11, 2008

A Fairy Tale

Once upon a time when I was smart, attractive and young I didn't realize the potential of life or that I wouldn't always be smart, attractive and young. I often took my overflowing cup (or bowl if you will) for granted and did not honor nor do justice to all I had been given. Now that I am not so young or attractive (but still smart, although that too will change as this brain becomes muddled when the myriad of connections no longer spark and hum the way they always have) I sometimes think of my younger life's potentials with a bittersweet longing. Hindsight is always 20/20. Tonight as I read a post on another blog that was listing all the ills of her life and the world at large I became painfully aware of how full my basket really is. For right now my life is good. I have a job (even if it sucks the life blood out of me - it is a job and pays me well), my health seems alright, I have a beautiful roof over my head and a soul-mate husband whose mission seems to encompass the wonderful attributes of being supportive, comforting and ever vigilant that I am happy. I realized that sometimes we may not appreciate all we have until we are not young, not as attractive and with....maybe....a bit more wisedom sprinkled in with all that brain power.

2 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Hmmmm... seems to me when I was smart, attractive and young, I wasn't nearly as happy as I am now that I am dowdy and older, and still kinda smart!
Good that you have that soul-mate hubby... I've got one that only wants me to do what I want to do, which is a blessing!
Enjoy...

Judy

my croft said...

The older I get, the happier I am. I would never go back. Thanks for this post, Denise.